Thursday, February 4, 2010

Wednesday Dinner 2/3/10

Good Morning!!! And so it is we have been granted another 24 hours of life, what a wonderful gift. Make things happen and get one step closer to your dreams. This week has gone by fast for me, I have learned a lot this week and I have decided that I will be doing less talking and a lot more listening. With that being said let the "Wednesday Dinner" story begin. This week I went to dinner with my sister Melissa, Melissa and I hadn't done a dinner where it was just her and I it’s always been the three of us (Ashley, Melissa and Shelby). I had been thinking and thinking and was very undecided about what I wanted to eat for dinner the original plan was to have Melissa meet me somewhere by my job and we would eat over here somewhere but I just didn't have a taste for anything over here. So when I got to my moms house I asked Melissa what she felt like eating and clearly she was undecided, so Shelby's friend Maya suggested that we go to one of her favorite Soul Food Place "Flossie's"(http://losangeles.citysearch.com/profile/170925/torrance_ca/flossie_s_southern_cuisine.html)"Flossie's. She was like "Ash you'll like it", so I double checked with Melissa and off to "Flossie's" we went. Everyone knows I'm always down to go somewhere local and get something to eat and I am a firm believer that some of the best food is found in the most unexpected places. "Flossie's" is located in Torrance around the corner from El Camino College on Redondo Beach Blvd, located in a shopping plaza there is a lot happening over there in that area. It was about 15 minutes away from my mom’s house which was great and when we got there it wasn't crowded at all. I noticed that "Flossie's" really has the down south appeal with Black Art on the walls; pickled jars of who knows what in them and the people there were very hospitable. It’s very small inside with maybe about 7 tables and a flat screen TV (I was able to watch Tyler Perry's House of Pain-which is one of my favorite shows). At the time when we got there it wasn’t busy but as we sat down and ate it picked up, most people took they’re food to go. I noticed that there was no menu posted but they are more that willing to share with you what they have available, I liked the fact that all the sides and meat is pretty much viewable when order, they have a buffet style set up. They have a ton of sides from Jambalaya, Steamed Zucchini, Mac & Cheese, Cabbage, Yam, Greens, Mashed Potatoes, Rice & Gravy, Corn, Red Beans, and Green Beans. And as far as the meats yesterday they were serving; Meat Loaf, Baked Chicken, Fried Chicken and Catfish, whew that’s a lot of choices but here is what we got:

Ashley- Catfish with Corn, Mac & Cheese and Yams
Melissa- Catfish with Greens, Mac & Cheese and Cabbage

"Flossie's" is not like most soul food places (M&M's & Soul Food Kitchen) they give you your monies worth! Those two places I named charge way too much and are skimpy on the food. For $10.99 (plus tax) which brought dinner to a total of $24.12, we got our dinner along with hush puppies, biscuit or corn bread and a drink WHAT! That is crazy talk! And I also love that fact the "Flossie's" website is in accordance to what you actually get when you go there. The catfish was filet'd which I love because fried fish is one of my favorite things but I don't like bones in my fish (Ewwww). The food was well portioned and DELISH! Over dinner my sister and I just caught up and had a brief chat about her finding a new job (So if you know of anyone hiring hit me up asap). It was hard to keep a conversation going because we were both so into our food. They have this

amazing tarter sauce to accompany the fish that is the bomb, the mac & cheese was dope not to cheesey and not to runny, the corn hit the spot also! The yams were ok; they could have been a little sweeter. To drink I got my usual Arnold Palmer (Iced Tea mixed with Lemonade) and that was good too. Melissa enjoyed her food also, I noticed that "Flossie's" food doesn't taste like all these other soul food places their food really stands out, I know most people I know always say "All those soul food places taste the same" but that wasn't the case here. So after dinner it was time for dessert, the dessert menu for yesterday was; Sweet Potato Pie, Peach Cobbler and Lemon Ice Box Pie and we decided to go with:

Lemon Ice Box Pie

I like peach cobbler but I like mine with vanilla ice cream and I didn't ask them if they had ice cream but I should have because I wanted to try the peach cobbler. But Melissa decided on the ice box pie, I have eaten the ice box pie before but this slice was different it was meringued on the top which kind of threw me off. The pie was good a little to frozen for me but it was still good, they're desserts are $4.00 which isn't bad at all. Two people ate for under $30.00 sounds like a win to me! If you haven't been to "Flossie's" get down there and check it out, they have my vote and we definitely be going back! All in all dinner was delish and I had enough for left over’s today! If you would like to play in the "Wednesday Dinner" band or have any suggestions drop me a line at wednesdaydinnerwithash@yahoo.com. In closing I would like to leave you with this "Don't just make a difference make history" until next week Arrivaderci Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment