Thursday, January 21, 2010

Wednesday Dinner 1/20/10

Good Morning and Happy Thursday!!!!!! I hope that you all are driving safely and staying dry out here in this "It never rains in Southern California rain" Hahahaha! This weather is so crazy and it so makes me want to stay home and lay in my bed, but there is money to be made and the world needs to be changed so I have to do my part! So let the "Wednesday Dinner" story begin; This week I met up with Stephanie for a early dinner late lunch, since both Stephanie and I get off work before 5pm and it was raining cats and dogs yesterday there was no way I was trying to be out late if I didn't have to. So we decided to meet, Stephanie and I both love a good burger and for the past week I have been watching "The Best Thing I Ever Ate" on the Food Network and ran across this place called Umami Burger (http://www.umamiburger.com/) which was highly recommended so I decided what the hell lets give it a try. For me this place was right on time because it was extremely close to my job so I was able to make it there in no time, but for Stephanie not so much she was coming all the way from the El Segundo area (So big ups to Steph for meeting me in the rain yesterday, you rock!!!). Its funny because Stephanie actually beat me to Umami burger, everyone knows I have a horrible sense of direction (no more to say about that). Umami is located right on the corner of 8th and LaBrea; it’s a cute not so typical burger place. It’s very clean and I'd say with a modern budda type feel to it. Umami wasn't crowded but it wasn't empty, the one thing I didn't like was the parking lot was extremely small!! I had to park on the street and it was raining (that was no bueno). When I arrived Stephanie was already waiting for me at our table which was right in front of the door, now pardon me but why would someone want to sit in front of a door when it’s raining. SO when I arrived we moved, to a table further in the restaurant. I also noticed that Umami has a little private area that can probably hold about 10 people for maybe a dinner party or meeting (very cute). So now it was time to order and here is what we got but before I tell you that let me just say that at Umami you can't alter any of their food items, what you read is what you get.


Ashley-Arnold Palmer, Socal Burger (butter lettuce, oven dried tomato, spread, house made american cheese, caramelized onions)


Stephanie- Lemonade, Socal Burger (butter lettuce, oven dried tomato, spread, house made american cheese, caramelized onions)


Onion Rings, Fires and Pickle Platter to share


Ok so here is my disclaimer on the food, the burger was very good however Stephanie likes pickles on her burger I could care less about pickles but Umami doesn't offer pickles on their burgers they offer a pickle platter which has about 4 different types of pickles on it. We ordered that and clearly the kind of pickles we were looking for weren't on there, but the show must go on. I also didn't like the fact that they brought out our fries and onion rings before they brought out our burgers. I prefer to eat the two together while both are hot! Our waitress wasn't the best she kept giving us the run around on the questions we asked, I guess maybe she wasn't use to people asking question I guess. So over our fries, onion rings and pickle platter Stephanie just had our usual "Ashley & Stephanie" talk we discussed relationships, birthdays, outings and other randomness of yesterdays happenings. After that it was time to eat and the burgers were brought out (Wooohooo), I was so hungry and had been waiting all day to eat. This burger to me was the perfect size for a woman and what I mean by that is it was just enough I had nothing left over and I was full. This was a fancy shamanzy burger that was reasonably priced at $9.00. Along with the fries and onion rings the meal was pretty good. Umami also offers a variety of throwback sodas like Coca Cola, Orange and Grape Crush in the Bottle (got to love those). So after we ate it was time to see what they had to offer for dessert, Umami offers desserts made by this company called Cake Monkey (http://www.cakemonkey.com/) I wasn't to sold on those so I decided to go with an in house dessert better know as:


Ice Cream Sandwich


This ice cream sandwich was delish!!! It was what Stephanie and I call "Cookie) filled with Vanilla Bean Ice Cream dipped in chocolate. I know most of you are thinking why would I eat ice cream on a rainy day but everyone’s know I love ice cream no matter the weather!!! I managed to eat the whole sandwich by myself Stephanie only had a taste. After that it was time to get the bill and roll out, with everything we ordered the bill was $41.72 which wasn't bad for 2 people. After eating that I was so FULL all I wanted to do was take a nap (I had a real case of the itis). I will definitely go back to Umami Burger, and I would suggest you all try it to, I like the twist they put on a regular burger and make it something to remember. If you would like to get on the "Wednesday Dinner" stage or have any suggestions drop me a line wednesdaydinnerwithash@yahoo.com . In closing I would like to leave you with this "Its all about solutions not excuses" until next week Shalom- Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment