Thursday, July 16, 2009

Wednesday Dinner 7/15/09
























































This weeks "Wednesdays Dinner" was with my buddy Justin. Justin and I have known each other since I was in the 12th grade and he was in the 10th, we both went to Hamilton and we were both in the Music Academy. We lost contact over the years, but reunited thanks to Facebook. Justin thru a major loop in my original "Wednesday Dinner" when the night before he asked me "You don't have a theme for me" so I had to put my thinking cap on and go to work. So I immediately asked him what his favorite type/types of food are. His favorites are Mexican and Italian. Since I had Mexican last week ,that was a no go. So I searched my mental Rolodex for all the good Italian places I knew and one place stood out. I decided to introduce Justin to one of my favorite Italian places and a place that holds a lot of memories for me. So we were on our way to Alejo's (http://www.alejosrestaurant.com/), this is a Mom & Pop type restaurant located in the Marina off of Lincoln & Venice. The outside appearance of the restaurant might throw some people off, but don't let that fool you. Let me tell you why this restaurant holds memories for me; I used to work for this company called EZ Check Advance aka Payday Express back in the early 2000's. Alejo's is located right next door to one of this companies many locations. At the time I first discovered Alejo's, I was working at the Inglewood location and one of my co worker put me up on this place. She would drive all the was from Inglewood (Century & LaBrea) to Alejo's (Lincoln & Venice). Before walking in I explained to Justin not to be fooled by the outside appearance. And now let the "Wednesday Dinner" begin. Alejo's can no more than 25 people at once, maybe 30 and that's the max. Once we arrived there were maybe about 10 other people having dinner, by the time we left the place was packed. Here is the run down of what we ate:

Fried Calamari- Appetizer
Ashley- Ravioli alla Cheeca with Meat Sauce
Justin- Three Color Cannelloni with Red & White Sauce
For a total of $44.67 (Which averages out to about $22 per person)

Our conversations at dinner where funny, we touched on many different topics. We talked about Pac Man Jones, Michael Vick, Lamar Odom, Michael Jackson, Oprah, and other daily life happenings. I noticed that as people where coming into the restaurant to have dinner, you can bring your own wine. I think that's a great concept for restaurants to offer, I thought dinner was DELISH and I was undeniably full when I was done. Of course I didn't finish my food & had left overs, but hey ya'll know how I do. Here are Justin's thoughts on dinner "Thrown off by outside exterior, service was great, not the best Cannelloni I've had, but I'll put in my top 5. Ambiance was nice, place is a little small overall I give this place an A-". "Wednesday Dinner" includes dinner, some sort of alcoholic beverage and dessert. Last night I didn't get the memo about alcohol(LOL). So after dinner it was time for dessert, I noticed on our way down to Alejo's we passed on of my favorite places. I decided we would go there for dessert, since Alejo's doesn't really offer that many choices for dessert. I decided to introduce Justin to Penguins frozen yogurt (http://www.penguinsyogurt.com/). Before there was Pinkberry or Yogurt Land, there was Penguins. Penguins is the OG of the frozen yogurt game, and now they are conforming with the times by having the current craze of flavors available. Last night they offered; Vanilla, Chocolate, Swirl, Yellow Cake Batter, Peanut Butter, Tart, & Chocolate Mint. Here is what we had:

Ashley- Yellow Cake Batter
Justin- Tart topped with Captain Crunch & Strawberries
For a total of around $7

Penguins offers inside & outside seating, Justin decided he wanted to sit outside. We sat outside & I was freezing my (@)(@)'s off! LOL. Penguins frozen yogurt is a lot thicker than Pinkberry & Yogurt Land, which is one of the things I love about this place. It's very ice cream like, just healthier. Here is Justin's take on Penguins "Pinkberry" is what he prefers. The night was still young for Justin and he suggested that we go and have drinks at Jerry's. Being that I was so full & I was going to unbutton my pants to breath a little bit, I had to decline (no hard feelings). It was getting late & I was way to full, it was time to call it a night. On the way home I had to share some funny stories with just, most recently my run in with the shady cd couple that sold me super bootleg cd's & got $10 of my hard earned money. I had a great time with Justin & I'm sure we'll be having more "Wednesday Dinners" together. So like always if your interested in joining me for a "Wednesday Dinner" or if you want to suggest somewhere for me to check out, drop me a line ashleymarie729@gmail.com. In closing I would like to say; There has been a lot of talk regarding my blog, for some stupid reason someone is extremely mad about it. So here is my take on that, an idea is something people have & they share. There's a huge difference between an idea & a dream. A dream is something that belongs to you & only you. An idea is something that is always up for grabs by someone else who is faster, smarter & more proactive than you. With that being said, live your own version of "The Good Life" or start a blog about it. Always Love, Peace & Hair Grease- Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment