Thursday, August 6, 2009

Wednesday Dinner 8/5/09





































Wow July sure did move by quickly, and here it is August and the year is moving at a rapid pace. This week for "Wednesday Dinner" I decided to visit two classic L.A. spots, one for dinner and the other for dessert. Even though I'm born and raised in Los Angeles, CA, there are still a few places I haven't been and there are a few places that I love going to. So this week I did a combo of both. I was very pleased with the my two choices and will definitely be visiting these places again. Now let the "Wednesday Dinner" story begin, my first stop for dinner was Mike's Deli. Mike's Deli is a place that I have never been to believe it or not, many times I've been in the area of the Deli (Slauson and Fairfax) but just never got around to trying it. I always had the mind set that as a Deli they would close early, not take Credit/Debit cards and be closed on the weekends. And boy I was totally wrong, Mike's Deli sits on the corner of Slauson in a mini mall as some people would call it. If your not familiar with the area you might just pass it by and a word of advice "Don't". This place is your all around neighborhood deli and it shows by the appearance and the customer service. As I walked in the first thing I noticed was how extremely clean and neat the place was! That's always a huge plus! They're organization style is great, especially for a deli. Often times people go to deli's or meat markets and see all kinds of clutter and things for sale that shouldn't be sold at the same place you by your meat. Mike's Deli is a build your own sandwich or try one of their specialty sandwiches, in my opinion either way you can't loose with your sandwich choice. I loved the fact that the offer so many more choices of turkey than just turkey breast or smoked turkey breast, and I also liked the fact the slice the meat and cheese in house. So I proceeded to order and here is what I got:

Maple Glazed Turkey Sandwich (with extra mayo, mustard, Swiss cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion & pickles on wheat)
Bag of Plain Lays
Arizona Grapeade

Any place that sells Grapeade to go along with my sandwich totally gets my vote! The drink and chip selection at Mike's Deli is bonkers! They have everything from your basic sandwich chips all the way to your higher end chips such as Kettle chips. The wait time for my sandwich was about 5 mins and all that came up to a total of $8.92. Not a bad price, immediately I thought to myself "Subway & Quizno's need to step their sandwich game up"! I decided not to eat my food there, because this week I wanted to do dinner, dessert and a movie. So after I left Mike's Deli it was off to my next stop, which again another classic place in L.A. "Harriet's" which is where I was getting my dessert from. I am not sure if any one is familiar with "Harriet's" but if not, get familiar! "Harriet's" specializes in cheesecakes. Now these aren't your to thick cheesecakes that you can get at Cheesecake factory or other high end or low end restaurants. These cheesecakes are like granny/grandma used to make with a twist. "Harriet's" sits in Inglewood/Ladera boarder of off Centinela. I've been getting cheesecake from "Harriet's" for as long as I can remember, the cheesecakes are just amazing. Mom and Pop owned "Harriet's" is the place for cheesecake experimentation and they've got it down to a science. Offering many different flavors of cheesecake on a daily basis, it makes it hard for anyone to choose. Yesterday I found myself on the fence between Snickers and Banana Pudding, I remembered to follow my first mind so I went with Banana Pudding. Unfortunately "Harriet's" doesn't take Credit/Debit, they are a cash only operation with their cheesecakes reasonably priced at $6.00 a slice (no tax). I think that's a great price for a slice of heaven or something close to it LOL.

After leaving "Harriet's" I went back home to eat and enjoy my dinner, of course I started off with my Sandwich from "Mike's Deli". I noticed that this sandwich had won my heart, due to the fact it was neatly wrapped and had the mile high appeal to it. After opening it I knew my heart had been won over, stacked neatly to perfection and topped with fresh veggies how could I not be ready to taste it. My first bite was amazing! I knew I wasn't going to be able to finish the whole sandwich but I was certainly going to try. This was truly the best sandwich I've had and I will totally be visiting "Mike's Deli" again, now that I know they take Credit/Debit, stay open until 9pm and are open on the weekends. Along with my chips and Grapeade I was full and couldn't eat my cheesecake right away, so I decided to start watching my movie. The movie I chose to watch was "Obsessed" with Idris Alba and Beyonce Knowles, I didn't get a chance to see it when it came out so I bought the DVD this week. Let me just say I enjoyed the movie, and I don't really care for thrillers or anything that doesn't have a comedic feel to it. But this movie was good, check it out if you haven't seen it. After the movie it was time to eat the cheesecake and boy did I. Cheesecake + Banana Pudding= Deliciousness! Words can't even describe how great the taste of this cheesecake was, perfectly put together with a Nilla waffer crust, topped with banana chips and filled with banana pudding and cheesecake what could be better? I will be going back to "Harriet's" soon to try that Snicker's cheesecake or any other of their many flavors. Over all dinner was DELISH and I was was totally please and able to sleep well on a full stomach.

If you would like to get on the "Wednesday Dinner" train or have any ideas of places for me to try, please drop me a line ashleymarie729@gmail.com. In closing I'd like to talk about change, change is described as make or grow different. I have been noticing and noticed that people are afraid to change. A wise man once said and I quote "People will only change if they can see the benefits of the change first". a statement for all to think about. Change is something that is at times uncomfortable but can be the best thing that's ever happened to you given the mind set that you want to change. Personally I think we all need a change of something or need to change something or a few things, so why not start your change today or right now. Start with something little and work your way up to something big, who knows what can happen. You might starting living instead of just being alive once you start to change. Take it from someone who's made a lot of changes "It feels good to feel good" and its all because I changed the game in my life. A thought to think about, until next week SMOOCHES! -Ashley

2 comments: