Friday, February 18, 2011

Wednesday Dinner 2/9/2011




What's coolin? My apologies on the delay but I have been having the worst case of writers block! Anyway, I hope all is well in your world and with that being said let the "Wednesday Dinner" story begin. This week I had dinner with my good buddy Maurice! As mentioned before Maurice and I went to high school together and over the last year we've become real good friends. Maurice was supposed to pick a place for us to go eat at but I am guessing he couldn't come up with anything. He did mention that he wanted some good Italian food so I suggested "Louise's" (http://www.louises.com/) "Louise's" has 7 locations in California and we decided to go to the one on Pico by the Westside Pavilion. Of course I was running late and I felt so bad, I don't know where my head was that day. So after making Maurice wait about 15 minutes I finally arrived. I had been to "Louise's" before but the one in Larchmont Village and I must say the one on Pico is a lot nicer. So we got a table and reviewed the menu and decided to start with an appetizer, here is what we ordered:

Fritto Misto (Fresh zucchini, rock shrimp and calamari, breaded with Louise’s seasonings. Served with arrabiatta and tartar sauces)

When the Fritto Misto came out it was piping hot and smelled so good, I also ordered a glass of Riesling (which was YUMMY by the way). Maurice loved the Fitto Misto he was on the shrimp and the calamari! I loved it too! It was very crispy and not overly seasoned. Also with the appetizer we received the complimentary Famous Focaccia bread!!! OMG this bread is to DIE for it’s served with extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar. This bread is so bomb.com I think I ate 3 out of the 4 pieces that were in the basket and I asked for another basket (SHAME). While reviewing the menu Maurice and I had a chance to do some more catching up and I just have to say that Maurice tells the funniest stories. So after catching up it was time to order, I decided to order from the "Prix Fixe Menu" so for $14.95 I was able to get a salad and pasta entree and a dessert, Maurice wasn't to interested in that so he ordered of the regular menu and here is what we had:


Ashley- House Salad, Pappardelle with Italian Sausage (Pappardelle pasta with spicy Italian sausage and plum tomatoes tossed with garlic, herbs and red pepper flakes. Served in a trio of Bolognese, tomato, and cream sauce


Maurice- Blackened Salmon (Cajun-rubbed fresh Atlantic salmon fillet pan-seared and blackened to perfection. Topped with a balsamic reduction and served with fire-grilled vegetables


While waiting for the food Maurice and I talked more and he was filling me in on his plans for Valentine's Day. When Maurice talks about the women he's involved with its hilarious. So the food came out and for some reason at that very moment I wasn't to sure about what I ordered. Over the last couple of months I have become fond of Italian sausage but this wasn't what I was hoping for. Maurice's plate on the other hand looked, smelled and tasted good. Mine was ok it was a little to sausage-gy and the pappardelle noodles were absolutely too thick however the sauce and the tomatoes were DELISH. I got mine smothered with fresh parmesan cheese and that helped but after 6 bites I was done. I guess all that bread and the appetizer really got to me. I was a little jealous that Maurice ordered something better than me (hahaha just kidding). I tasted Maurices salmon and it was DELISH, its something I would order the next time I go back to “Louise’s”. So after dinner it was time for my dessert, which was:

Tiramisu-A Louise’s classic made fresh daily. Lady fingers dipped in espresso layered in mascarpone cheese and cream.

I am not a huge fan of Tiramisu however this one wasn't to bad. Maurice ordered the:

Old Fashioned Chocolate Cake-Dark chocolate layer cake with European chocolate butter cream
to go which was no fun because I didn't get a chance to taste it (sad face). He did say that it was good. Anytime Maurice and I hang out it’s a good time he's a great friend. We continued talking about our "love/dating" lives and I think we would both agree that Maurice's is more exciting than mine (haha). I will say that he did give me some great advice and I appreciate him for being a listening ear (THANK YOU). All in all dinner was AMAZE and I will definitely be doing dinner with Maurice again. I won't count "Louise's" out its still a really good place so get familiar. If you would like to get on the "Wednesday Dinner" bus drop me a line at wednesdaydinnerwithash@yahoo.com and follow me on Twitter www.twitter.com/wednesdaydinner. In closing I would like to leave you with this "No one can do you like you" until next week love always -Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment